Figs!

In the local Trader Joe's yesterday, I was roaming the aisles, hungry, and looking for goodies for dinner that night. Rounding the corner from the milk aisle, I stumbled upon a tiny table, atop which, were little baskets of California Mission Figs. Now, usually, I buy my figs at the farmer's market, but as they sat there, the little bundles of sweet deliciousness, my hunger took over and I became helpless to the calls of the fig. After paying for my bounty, I didn't even make it to the car before I opened the package and bit into, what is for me, the essence of summer. Like candy. I had forgotten the sweet taste and the subtle crunch of the seeds. I vowed to make jam this year before the fleeting season of figs was gone again. Well, needless to say, my first basket of figs was practically inhaled; raw, stuffed with blue cheese and drizzled with balsamic vinegar, filled with mascarpone cheese and a touch of honey for breakfast. Back to the store I go for another basket, maybe they will make it more than a day this time.






Here is one that I am dying to try, and from one of my fave foodie mags, Cooking Light (photo just above):
This recipe is great with dried figs, sublime with fresh ones. The Gorgonzola is a great combo with the sweet fig jam, but feta or any other soft, pungent cheese will work.

Yield

12 servings (serving size: 2 crostini)

Ingredients

  • Jam:
  • 1 cup dried Black Mission figs (about 6 ounces)
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • Dash of salt

  • Onions:
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 cups vertically sliced yellow onion
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup water (optional)

  • Remaining ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) Gorgonzola cheese, softened
  • 24 (1-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette, toasted (about 12 ounces)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves

Preparation

To prepare jam, remove stems from figs. Place figs and juice in a food processor; process until figs are coarsely chopped. Place fig mixture, 2 cups water, syrup, and dash of salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until thick. Cool completely.
To prepare onions, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook 20 minutes or until onion is deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. While onion cooks, add 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup at a time, to keep onion from sticking to pan.
Spread 1 teaspoon cheese over each baguette slice. Top each slice with about 1 teaspoon onion mixture and 1 teaspoon jam. Sprinkle evenly with thyme leaves.

Nutritional Information

Calories: 106 (29% from fat)
Fat: 3.4g (sat 1.9g,mono 0.9g,poly 0.3g)
Protein: 2.9g
Carbohydrate: 16.3g
Fiber: 2.4g
Cholesterol: 8mg
Iron: 0.6mg
Sodium: 82mg
Calcium: 85mg
Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2003

No comments: